Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Drive not accessible - scan shows 'WD Unlocker' partition

April 4th, 2024, 19:52

Hi guys, this one's stumping me a bit.

Got a hard that that shows 'Not initialised' in disk manager

It does seem to take a little longer than usual to be detected (maybe 15-20 seconds) but otherwise spins up fine and is detected in SMART with 'good' health

I've run scans in R-Studio and and DMDE and they both pick up a small ~4MB 'WD Unlocker' partition at the end of the drive (and some files - I'll have to upload a photo later), however using hex viewer I can see data throughout the rest of the drive

Apparently it was formatted to NTFS, with no encryption, and last used in a Sabrent docking station, so not sure if the 'unlocker' partition has any relevance?
Attachments
VirtualBox_R-Studio_29_03_2024_05_53_41.png
Screenshot 2024-03-13 181909.png

Re: Drive not accessible - scan shows 'WD Unlocker' partitio

April 4th, 2024, 20:41

I'd say that the drive was shucked from a My Book enclosure and then repartitioned and formatted either in the dock or inside a computer. You are now seeing the unencrypted "SmartWare" stuff. This area (~32MB) is normally hidden from the host by the My Book bridge, but is now exposed by the Sabrent bridge.

April 5th, 2024, 15:36

fzabkar wrote:I'd say that the drive was shucked from a My Book enclosure and then repartitioned and formatted either in the dock or inside a computer. You are now seeing the unencrypted "SmartWare" stuff. This area (~32MB) is normally hidden from the host by the My Book bridge, but is now exposed by the Sabrent bridge.

That was my thinking. Any ideas on recovering the actual data? As I say, I can see it throughout the drive in hex viewer, but the scans only detect the WD partition/files at the end.

April 5th, 2024, 15:43

Where's the bridge board ? Depends on the order of operations - might be worth checking with ufs explorer too.

April 5th, 2024, 16:35

https://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?p=14993#p14993
https://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?p=7870#p7870
Post a reply